Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Things Your Mother Told You But You Didn't Want To Hear!



36 "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Do you ever think about your words? I never really thought about my own words, but I have thought about other people's words. 

Like things our parents have told us while growing up!

How funny is that? We are always ready to condemn those around us for what they've said or how they've acted, but how often do we really pay attention to how we act towards other people?

I will be the first to admit I'm like that. I do try to treat people as I want to be treated, but when you have been one way for so long, meaning, the thing you hated being told by your mother and then turn around and tell your own kids or husband that very thing...


When I was growing up, I found I hated to hear, "Waste not..want not!", and I hated being told how to spend my money..."Do you really need that?" "You should save your money, you don't need that!"

Without even realizing it, I tell my own kids the very thing. "Really? Do you really need that?" "Why don't you get the cheaper one, it's just as good."

I never realized that I say the same thing to my kids and husband that I hated hearing when I was growing up. It was kindly pointed out to me yesterday, and...

I could just kick myself!

It's things we've grown up with that drove us nuts, but at the same time our own parents/grandparents were trying to teach us to save our money, buy what we need and take care of what we have. In today's society though, there's got to be a better way to get our point across without sounding like our parents', saying things that drove us nuts as kids ourselves.

I have to chuckle, we always say we'll never repeat those things and then do.

Do you find yourself telling your kids or significant other things you heard as a kid? I really want to know. Comment me.

1 comment:

  1. I have certainly told my Bill and my niece stuff I promised I wouldn't repeat as an adult. Sometimes I do a Homer "Dough!" and think to myself that I am turning into my mother. LOL! Sometimes I suffer from foot in mouth disease! I think we all do it.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics